Choosing a divorce attorney is one of the most important divorce-related decisions you will make. Many people choose an attorney based on personal recommendations from family and friends, but it’s still wise to do your research and ask the right questions when considering who to hire.
Family law is a complex specialty and you want to make sure you are working with someone who is qualified and has the experience needed to handle your case. We’ve put together 7 questions to ask in your first meeting with a divorce attorney so you can be sure that attorney is the right one for you and your case.
Questions to Ask In Your First Meeting With a Divorce Attorney:
1. How long have you been practicing family law, and what aspect of family law do you specialize in?
2. What do you need to know from me?
3. What can I expect the divorce process to be like?
4. What is your retainer up front? What will I be charged for and how much?
5. What can I do to keep the cost of my divorce down?
6. What is your strategy for my case, and how long do you expect it will take to resolve?
7. What should my next steps be after this meeting?
There’s no question that going through divorce is challenging and stressful and taxing. When it comes to finding a divorce attorney you can trust, coming prepared for the first meeting with your divorce attorney will help make the process go more smoothly.
How We Can Help
Are you considering separation or divorce? Contact us to schedule a consultation with an experienced divorce attorney who can help guide you through the process.